Monday, March 12, 2012

French toast for breakfast


This was last week's Saturday morning breakfast which I never got round to posting on account of my slackness.

I've been working 3 weeks now and just getting into my 4th week. It's still an adjustment and getting used to the routine. I wish there were more hours in the day and more days in the weekend.

When we got up on Saturday, I asked The Boy what he wanted for breakfast and if it was his usual oatmeal. Funnily enough, he said he wanted something different, so I offered to make him French toast, which is a personal favorite.

I never do anything particularly fancy with French toast and I don't follow much of a recipe either because I learned how to make it as a kid watching my nanna and I just make it up as I go.

This time round, I did this:

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup of non fat soy milk (you can use any type of milk you like)
  • 1 tablespoon of aspartame (you can use regular sugar if you prefer)
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon sugar
  • 4 slices of white bread (you can use other bread but I think white bread tastes the best)
  • Spray oil for the pan (canola oil would be better than olive oil in this instance)
  • Maple syrup to serve

Instructions:
  • Beat up the eggs and mix in the milk to form a light yellow mixture
  • Add the tablespoon of aspartame into mixture and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar in as well
  • Mix thoroughly
  • Heap up a large fry pan on the stove and spray surface evenly with spray oil
  • Soak the bread in the egg mixture on both sides until the mixture has absorbed thoroughly into the bread
  • Place the egg soaked bread into the fry pan and cook evenly on both sides until golden brown
  • Repeat soaking bread and cooking bread until all the bread is cooked
  • Sprinkle a little more cinnamon sugar on top of the cooked French Toast (optional)
  • Serve with maple syrup

The reason I use non fat soy milk is because I'm lactose intolerant, so you can use whatever type of milk you like. I just can't have cow milk.

As to the aspartame, I know a lot of people object to aspartame saying it's not natural and not healthy, but I'm pre-diabetic, so I try to avoid too much regular sugar as much as possible. We've been experimenting with substituting aspartame for regular sugar in cooking and baking wherever possible. It's true, aspartame is not as sweet as regular sugar, but is also has less calories and it's much better for my blood sugar, so I'm sticking to it. I use the granulated version of the Hermesetas brand aspartame and they have a version for cooking, where it is a 1 to 1 measure between the Hermesetas and regular sugar. As I said, you can use regular sugar, such as brown sugar (which is fabulous for baking) or caster sugar.

I had considered cooking up some crispy bacon to go with the French toast but I thought that I did not have any in the freezer, so we went without. I do love the salty taste of bacon with the sweet taste of maple syrup mixed together.

The French toast turned out very well though The Boy did say that he liked the piece that had more egg soaked into it, so I think next time I'll use a few more eggs and soak the bread in the egg mixture a little longer.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment