Sunday, July 15, 2012

Crustless quiche

I think I've mentioned this before ... I'm not much into the baking or the dough making, so when a recipe requires a crust or a pie shell or any sort of pastry to wrap it in, I tend to give it a miss. If I can buy the pie crust, shell, pastry, then I'm quite likely to make the recipe but so far, I have not visited the pre-made pastry aisle in the grocery store and given it a serious review to see what's available. I will get to it at some point.

So what you are going to see today is a CRUSTLESS quiche. To be exact it's a crustless bacon and tomato quiche (or you can use ham too, if you like). It's super simple to make because without the crust, all you really need to do is throw all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, mix together and put it into the oven. Seriously, that's all there is to it.


I learned to make this recipe in my early 20s and living on my own. It was one of those dishes that was easy and kept for a few days in the fridge and worked really well as leftovers. It's also a nice dish to bring along to a pot luck party.

Here's the RECIPE for the crustless bacon and tomato quiche:

Ingredients (serves 4):
  • 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup bacon or ham bits
  • 1 can drained whole tomato, chopped roughly
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tub sour cream
  • 1/2 cup self-raising flour
  • 1 cup grated tasty cheese
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 4cm deep, 24cm (base) ovenproof fluted ceramic quiche dish
  • Whisk eggs and flour in a bowl until well combined. Stir in all other ingredients and mix well
  • Season with salt and pepper and mix
  • Pour mixture into quiche dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until set in the centre. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Serve

There's not much to it at all, but just because I can't help myself, this is what I do different:
  • I use a little bit more cheese than the recipe says because I like my quiche cheesy
  • I do not use canned tomatoes because I find them really squishy and I don't like that it turns my quiche red if I don't drain it properly (which has been known to happen!). Instead, I use a ripe whole tomato and remove the seeds. I just cut the tomato (depending on how big they are, I use 2 or 3 of them) and cut them into 6 pieces, then remove the seeds (sometimes I'm lazy and I don't even do that). After that, I cut the 6 pieces into half or thirds
  • I've never had the eggs at room temperature so I don't know what difference having the eggs at room temperature does to the quiche. Maybe I should try it one day? Anyhow, with cold eggs, the quiche still turns out fine

The Boy loves quiche, particularly for breakfast. I don't know if he warms it up or not. Once (and only once) he had a little bit of Semillon left in a bottle and decided to have quiche and Semillon for breakfast at 10am. He tells me that the combination worked very well. I am taking his word for it.

Do you like quiche? Do you like it with a crust like a traditional quiche Lorraine or can you live without a crust? Ever tried leftover quiche for breakfast or do you prefer it for another meal?



© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment