Thursday, January 5, 2017

Honey Soy Sesame Chicken ... from the 14 Day Ketogenic Meal Plan


Recently, I reviewed the 14 Day Ketogenic Meal Plan by Gen Gale. Because of the review, I tested out some of the recipes in the cookbook and this one was a big hit with The Boy. He LOVED it. His words were "I love it when you try a new recipe and nail it!" Of course, it made me very happy that The Boy loved the dish.


Without much further ado, here's the recipe:

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 free-range chicken breast (skinless and boneless), cut into 1-inch strips
  • ¼ cup of raw honey
  • ¼ cup of light soy sauce
  • ½ cup of chicken stock or water
  • 2 tablespoons of arrowroot starch
  • 2 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger root
  • ½ crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted

Instructions:

  • In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat until it starts to smoke. Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes, or until lightly brown.
  • In a mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, water, arrowroot starch, ginger and pepper flakes. Whisk thoroughly until dissolved completely.
  • Add the sauce mixture in the skillet and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes while stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in the sesame seeds and add more water if the sauce is too thick.
  • Cover with lid and cook for another 10 minutes with medium -low heat. Transfer into serving dishes and serve warm.

This recipe was super easy to make. Rather than cook the chicken first, I prepared the sauce first. A few things to note about the sauce:

  • Mix the arrowroot starch (if you don't have arrowroot starch, you can also substitute with tapioca starch, and for a non-paleo, non-ketogenic option, corn starch) in about two tablespoons of cold or room temperature water first so it doesn't clump. I made the mistake of pouring hot stock over it and it got horribly clumpy. I had to take a stick blender to the sauce to fix the clumps.
  • I used about 1 cup of stock for the sauce. I prefer stock because it adds for flavor. However, using more stock means you need to simmer the sauce for a little longer to make sure it thickens properly. I simmered it for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until it was at the thickness of my liking.


After preparing the sauce to the point of it being ready to pour into the pan with the chicken, I then started cooking the chicken.

I didn't have any sesame seeds so I skipped that.

I like garlic so I added a few cloves of minced garlic into the sauce. That was yummy!

Aside from that, it's a very simple recipe to make from start to finish. I served it on top of cauliflower rice.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment