Monday, August 17, 2020

Rainbow pasta salad



This dish started about a week ago when I had some leftover duck from a meal out and I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I decided on a simple pasta salad with some bow pasta I had. It turned out to be delicious. The bright colors from the spring onions and tomatoes make this dish not only tastes but bright and fun too. It's like eating the rainbow.

This week, I had some dental surgery and I can't eat anything particularly chunky or required any biting. No corn on the cob for me. Today, is the day after surgery and I can eat softer food but can only chew with my back teeth so it needed to be easy to eat. I wasn't in the mood to cook anything particularly fancy and decided a simple but tasty pasta salad was the way to go. I set about recreating what I did with the leftover duck but used minced pork instead. Really, you can use any meat you like. Minced beef, minced chicken, or even chicken thigh in bite-size pieces. This is simple to make, tasty, and satisfying. The Boy always has seconds.

By the way, I usually just eyeball the dressing measurements and keep adjusting till I get the taste I like. I've included a general recipe for the dressing, but adjust the quantities of each ingredient to your liking till you get the taste and texture you like.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 250g pasta of any kind (I use bow pasta)
  • 250g minced pork (you can use beef or chicken too)
  • 1 punnet cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
  • 1 teaspoon season all spice
  • Salt to taste

Dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon seeded mustard
  • 1 tablespoon caramelised balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or chili flakes (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

  • In a large frying pan, add some olive oil. When oil is warm, add minced pork and break up into small pieces. Add season all spice and salt to taste and fry until the pork is cooked and slightly browned. Set aside to cool.
  • In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta according to instructions on the packet until cooked to your liking. If you like it slightly softer than al dente, cook a little longer. When the pasta is ready, drain, rinse slightly with cold water to cool pasta down, and set aside.
  • In a small jar, mix up dressing and keep adjusting till you are satisfied with the taste. I like my dressing to be a little tangy so I add a little more white wine vinegar for some added zing. Leave out the chili if you do not like any heat in your dressing.
  • In a large bowl, combine minced pork, tomatoes, olives, spring onions, and pasta. Pour over dressing and mix well. Add as much or as little dressing as you like according to your taste.
  • Serve and enjoy.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment