Sunday, March 5, 2017

Paleo tortilla Espanola con chorizo


My breakfasts have become pretty standard and I was looking for something a little different to add variety into our meal choices. With paleo, there's a lot of eggs and a lot of bacon and a lot of sweet potato, not that I mind but I don't want The Boy to get bored and I like to change up our meals.

We've been doing a lot of the breakfast bake which The Boy loves and also a sweet potato hash which is a personal favorite but I wanted to change it up a bit.


I admit at one point I was making a lot of egg-based casserole style breakfasts and I got kind of bored of them. All that egg!! I figured now that enough time had passed, I could try one again.

This one is from a recent addition to my cookbook collection. Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts On The Go by Diana Rodgers. Let me tell you, there's nothing on the go about this recipe. There's a ton of prep and it takes time to make. However, once done, you can set it aside and eat it over a few days. It keeps well in the fridge for several days.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup ghee
  • 2 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and slice to 1/8" 3mm slices
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups chorizo diced
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 cups arugula / rocket, chopped
  • 10 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste

For the sauce:
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoon minced cilantro / coriander

Instructions:
  • In a large skillet, heat the ghee to medium high. Fry the potatoes in batches. It takes two batches, but will depend on the size of the skillet. Fry potatoes till they are golden brown but not crispy. Flip the potatoes when one side is brown and cook the other side until it is brow. Remove to a plate and set aside.
  • When you are done cooking the potatoes, drain off most of the ghee, add onion, garlic and red pepper, sausage, pepper with thyme.  Saute until the onion is soft. Remove the onion mixture from the pan. 
  • In a square baking dish, place arugula at the bottom of the greased dish, then add onion mixture on top. Layer potatoes overlapping each other on top of the onion mixture. 
  • Mix the eggs and coconut milk in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour into the pan.
  • Cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until the eggs are done. Cut and serve.

To make the sauce:

  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl.


This turned out super tasty if a little watery. Not the tortilla itself that set perfectly but I think a few of the ingredients let out some water, perhaps the rocket and the onions? You'll see it in the bottom of the pan when you cut the tortilla open, but that's easily fixed with a paper towel to absorb the liquid. It's no biggie.

Another thing too is the recipe asks you to cook it all in a skillet and put the skillet in the oven. I don't have a skillet that works that way so I converted the recipe slightly, reversed the layering order and baked it in the oven.

You'll see the dish is quite thick and it takes a while for the eggs to set completely while cooking. I put my dish in for 18 minutes originally and when I cut into the tortilla, it was still liquidy, so I put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes, which cooked it thoroughly. It will depend on your oven, so check as you go.

Also, once out of the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting into it. It helps the tortilla to set completely.


If I had been better prepared, I think I would have preferred cooking this dish the day before and letting it set completely, then putting it in the fridge. I'd simply slice it the next morning and microwave it to warm it up and serve to eat.

Also, since I was running behind (this was supposed to be breakfast) and we didn't get to eat this till almost midday, I completely forgot about the sauce so I don't know how the sauce tastes. While eating, The Boy did say that he thought this would go well with a bit of Tabasco sauce.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment