Sunday, December 4, 2022

How to use calcium propionate in sauce

Calcium propionate

I have been looking for something to extend the shelf life of my sauces and came across calcium propionate. It's predominantly found in breads and baked goods as a preservative to inhibit or slow down the growth of mold and prevent spoilage, but can also be used in dairy, beverages, alcoholic drinks, and processed meats. It is also used in sauces, jellies, and jams, etc.

I know I can use things like vinegar and citric acid too, but as I've discovered, some people are allergic to vinegar (much to my surprise) and wanted an alternative.

There is a lot of information regarding calcium propionate and you can find a lot from blog posts to scientific articles. Some articles I read when I researched are here, here, here, and here. And of course, we can't leave out Wikipedia.

According to this article, which is well sourced:

Quotes:Calcium propionate is an organic salt that is used as a food additive. It helps preserve foods, mainly baked goods, by interfering with the growth and reproduction of microorganisms, such as molds, bacteria, and fungi.

Quotes:Calcium propionate was extensively studied by the FDA before it was classified as “generally recognized as safe”. What’s more, the WHO and FAO have not established an acceptable daily intake, which means it’s considered very low risk....It’s also worth noting that your body does not store calcium propionate, which means it won’t build up in your cells. Instead, the substance is broken down by your digestive tract and readily absorbed, metabolized, and eliminated.

And most importantly:

Quotes:Calcium propionate’s safety has been extensively studied, and it appears to be safe with minimal side effects for most people. In rare instances, people may experience headaches or migraines. While some studies have demonstrated connections between propionate and both negative behavioral effects in children and insulin resistance, more research is needed to determine whether propionate caused these effects.

Bread

Most of the information I found online was about baking bread and how to use it with bread. I expect, without knowing, you've probably consumed a lot of calcium propionate during your life if you eat bread that's available commercially. I was specifically looking for how to use it in sauces.

I found a seller on eBay (there are many) and bought some. After it arrived, I messaged the guy I bought it from to ask if he knew the correct proportions to use it in sauce, and he kindly responded with the amount I needed to use. In. A. Sauce.

According to Wikipedia, you use 0.1 to 0.4% of calcium propionate in bread, I assume to whatever amount of flour. There was also a bunch of scientific talk that I did not understand. I could kind of calculate how that translated into the amount to use in a sauce too, but I did not know the actual way to use it. Mixing into dry powder is different from mixing into a wet liquid.

Sauce in a jar

So according to the eBay seller who explained it to me in terms that *I* could understand, he basically said that I needed 3 to 5 grams of calcium propionate per litre of sauce. He also said that it will dissolve easily in water whether hot or cold. And if the sauce is very thick, I could dissolve the calcium propionate in a little water, and then add it to the sauce. 

That was exactly the instruction I was looking for. Something I could understand and apply.

  1. Use 3 to 5 grams of calcium propionate in 1 litre of sauce.
  2. Dissolve in water and mix through if the sauce is thick. 
  • Note: after testing, I've found it dissolves better in warm or hot water. It takes much longer with cold water, so if you're impatient, warm or hot water would be best. I used warm water. Let it sit in the water for a little while (a few minutes) and it will dissolve while in the water. Stir with a small whisk if you have to help it along. When completely dissolved, pour into sauce and mix through well.

If you have more or less than 1 litre of sauce, adjust proportionately. I'd use a scale to weigh out the 3 to 5 grams before using it to ensure that you are as accurate as possible.

Food weighing scale

That's it. Easy peasy. Heh, even I can do that.

I hope this helps someone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to use it in sauce rather than bread.

A small disclaimer: I do not claim to be any sort of expert on the product. I'm just a home user who wants to extend the shelf life of some sauces I'm making. If you have any concerns, do your own research and due diligence, or seek out an expert to speak to. Especially if you are sensitive to different ingredients and preservatives, or have food allergies. Don't take chances experimenting with something that could have an adverse effect on you if you are at risk.


Find Deanna around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  goodreads  TikTok
 

No comments:

Post a Comment