Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Currently reading 41 books - sort of

I can't really say that I'm reading 41 books all at the same time because I'm not, but based on my Goodreads "currently reading" list, that's what I'm doing.

What I do is add to a list what I'm planning on reading in the near future and I pick my next reads out of that list otherwise the list of books to choose from is just too large and too unmanageable (thank you Amazon for all those free books every week!).

The book I'm actually reading right this instant is Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh. I have to admit to not liking books about angels because I have very definite ideas of what an angel is or should be based on my upbringing and when I see authors that creative liberties with the concept of angels it does make me cringe on the inside. I'm making an exception with Nalini Singh because (and only because) she is a great writer. She has the ability to create a world and give you characters that you will fall in love with. Her writing sucks you in totally, so that you almost forget what you're reading and at the same time are devouring the book in huge gulps.


Also, the book is more Urban Fantasy than it is Paranormal Romance and I'm not a great lover of Urban Fantasy. The writing and world building needs to be very, very good in Urban Fantasy for me to enjoy it and there just haven't been that many that I've found, that I've enjoyed. Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series is an exception and even then, by book 7 or book 8 I was starting to tire of her whole "end of the world" thing.

Just so you know, I'm not a big fan of Paranormal Romance either but I like it well enough as a sub-genre and if it's well written and if I'm in the right mood, I'd read it. Because of Nalini Singh though, I've been reading a lot of PNR this year. Usually, I stick to Historicals with a dab of Contemporaries thrown in.

So, without much further ado, here's what's in the queue:


No comments:

Post a Comment