Sunday, July 22, 2012

I'm no fool ... oh, you mean it's a Raspberry Fool


I  have always found the name of this dessert amusing. That said, it's an old, old dessert dating back to the 16th century and it's simply delicious and very easy to make.

For me, easy to make desserts are a must because I am not most proficient when it comes to baking. As an example, I've now attempted banana bread / cake about five times and each time it has come out different though mostly tasty. I think it has to do with the fact that baking requires a specificity and exactness that is just not in my make up. So, the Raspberry Fool is a winner for me.

And yes, I did do some things differently, but I will leave that for after I give you the RECIPE:

Ingredients:
  • 150g (1 punnet) raspberries
  • 1 300ml container thickened cream
  • 1 tbs icing sugar, sifted

Instructions:
  • Set aside 12 raspberries. Place the remaining raspberries in a bowl and use a fork to roughly mash.
  • Use electric beaters to whisk the cream, icing sugar until firm peaks form. Fold the mashed raspberries into the cream mixture to create a swirled effect.
  • Spoon the mixture into four 125ml (1/2-cup) serving glasses and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
  • Top the fools with the reserved raspberries and serve with the biscuits, for dipping.

So here's what I did differently:

I used frozen raspberries instead of fresh because they were not in season and even if they were, they are just too pricey to buy.

I didn't just mash up the raspberries (because they were frozen), I dumped them in a pot and made a coulis out of them, which basically involved heating up the frozen raspberries, bringing them to a boil and putting some icing sugar into them and sweetening them up. This made a very lovely, gooey, liquidy mess of raspberry and juice.

Instead of just raspberries (which I didn't have, I used fresh strawberries and fresh blueberries and just layered them in the glass - coulis, cream, fruit, repeat until the glass is filled and then just drizzle some coulis right on top. Mine turned out looking nothing like the picture of the recipe that I was given, of course. You get a picture of mine. :-)

This is a very rich dessert, so a small glass goes a long way.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment