Thursday, May 5, 2016

Chicken congee ... or as we call it, chicken "chook"


If you don't follow me on Instagram or the Daz in the Kitchen page, (what are you waiting for? Go follow me!!) you probably don't know I post a lot of pictures of the food I eat, whether it be eating out or eating in. I even post pictures of food I don't cook, thanks to my mummy cooking some meals for us when she is home.

Mum is a fantastic cook but her specialty is Asian, namely Malaysian and Chinese food. I don't cook Asian food because I've been spoiled by mum's cooking and any time I want good home cooked Asian food, I go visit mum.

Recently, I posted a picture of chicken congee or rice porridge which mum threw together for us for dinner. She had bought some BBQ chicken from Coles and I wanted mum to make me dinner. :-)

In Cantonese, we call it "chook". I love chook. And since this is chicken chook and we are Aussie, well, we're having chook chook. :-p

There's something very comforting about it. The Boy loves it especially when he's not feeling well. It's his go to comfort food.


Of course, as often happens, I get asked for the recipe for stuff I post, and mum's chook got a recipe request from my friend Cathleen.

Here's how you make chicken chook:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Jasmine rice
  • 6 cups of water (or chicken stock if you want it extra tasty)
  • 2 teaspoons shredded giner
  • Salt to taste

For toppings:
  • Shredded BBQ chicken (as much as you like)
  • Chinese preserved vegetables (1 tablespoon per serving)
  • Chopped shallots
  • Fresh Coriander leaves
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • Sesame oil to taste

Instructions:
  • Wash rice thoroughly.
  • Bring water or chicken stock to boil.
  • Add ginger and rice and bring back to boil.
  • Simmer for 1 hour until water is absorbed but you still have a thick / watery porridge like consistency. Check and stir regularly to ensure you don't burn the chook.
  • Once it is done, scoop into bowls to serve.
  • Once in bowls, top with shredded chicken, preserved Chinese vegetables, shallots and coriander leaves. Drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil to taste.


Note 1: If your shredded chicken is cold, you can warm it up before putting on top of your chook. If you don't it will cool down your chook a bit, which you may or may not want.

Note 2: You can also use fresh chicken for this dish. If so, after boiling the rice for about 40 minutes, before it is quite done, put in uncooked chicken, stir, bring chook back to a boil and simmer for another 20 minutes.

If you're using stock, you may not need as much salt and soy sauce for taste. That depends on how you like your food tasting and you can adjust accordingly.

For the preserved Chinese vegetables, there is a huge variety available and those can be found in most any Asian grocery store.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In TheKitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment