Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Paleo Thai styled cauliflower fried rice


Ever since we started on our paleo journey, I've been doing a lot with cauliflower rice. We love it. We think that it's versatile enough to go with a lot of dishes and we don't mind the flavor at all. A few of my friends are not fans. They say they don't like the taste of cauliflower, but I think the taste is so mild that it really doesn't come through when we add other things on top of it.

I've been looking for different recipes to use with cauliflower rice and this one caught my attention from the Real Paleo Fast & Easy by Loren Cordain PhD cookbook. It's super tasty and has become a favorite at home.


Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups fresh cauliflower florets
  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 8 oz package of fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped scallions
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup diced or minced cooked pork
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 lime - 1 to juice and zest, 1 for lime wedges
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander

Instructions:

  • In a food processor, pulse cauliflower until pieces are rice sized. In an extra large skillet cook cauliflower rice in 2 tablespoons of oil for 5 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown. Remove to a large bowl.
  • In the same skillet, cook mushrooms, scallions and carrots over medium heat for 4 minutes until tender but crisp. Add pork, ginger, garlic, black pepper, cook for 1 minute.
  • Push vegetables and pork to the side and create a well in the centre. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet. Crack eggs into centre, break yolks. Cook until eggs are set but still slightly wet. Using a spatula, roughly chop up eggs.
  • Push vegetables back into centre and fold into eggs. Fold in cauliflower rice. Remove 1 1/2 teaspoons zest and juice from one lime. Add lime zest and juice and if desired, crushed red pepper to fried rice. Sprinkle with basil and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

This recipe makes enough to serve 4 people if you follow it exactly. I never follow anything exactly, so I always end up with a little bit extra.


A few things to note:

  • There's a lot of slicing and dicing going on. Be sure to do all the prep first and chop up everything before you start cooking. 
  • It says cooked pork. I used raw minced pork, so I cooked it separately first and set it aside before adding it to the pan for mixing into the fried rice.
  • As you pre-cook each batch of the ingredients, be sure to season with salt to taste as you go. With each batch of ingredients I had to pre-cook, I added a pinch or two of salt. If you don't, the whole dish can be quite tasteless.
  • I like it zesty and tangy, so I used the juice of 2 limes. I also don't like zesting cos I have a fear of slicing off my fingers, so I didn't zest the limes. I didn't think I lost anything by not zesting the limes.
  • I did add the chili flakes. We like it spicy.
  • This keeps wonderfully in the fridge for a few days as leftovers. The flavors really meld together in the fridge and it's super tasty as leftovers.

So there you have it. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment