Since we went paleo we've been having a lot of eggs for breakfast. Scrambled eggs, sweet potato hash with eggs, mini quiches, etc., so it's always nice to do something that's healthy and a break from eggs.
I've made this a few times but I don't do it often because it's a bit more prep than just throwing together some scrambled eggs. This recipe you need to make the day before and pop into the fridge.
It's been a while now so I don't remember where I found this recipe but it was somewhere on the interwebz. I'd link the original recipe if I could remember but alas, I can't. Apologies.
Here's the recipe:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 apples, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups vanilla soy milk (can substitute regular milk)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish (an 8-by-8 works too).
- In a small bowl, mix the uncooked quinoa with the spices. Pour into greased dish.
- Sprinkle the apple and raisins on top of the quinoa.
- In that same small bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the soy milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge the fruit. Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top.
- Bake for one hour or until the casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left.
- Allow to cool, and then cover and refrigerate. In the morning, cut a square, microwave it on a plate, and enjoy alone or with a few dollops of Greek yogurt.
I like raisins so I use a 1/2 cup of raisins rather than only a 1/4 cup. And of course, I don't use soy milk so I use lactose-free milk instead since I'm lactose intolerant. I don't think it matters what kind of milk you use.
If you are warming it up to eat, don't heat it for too long. I usually only warm it in the microwave for about 20 seconds just to take the chill off it from coming out of the fridge.
I hope you enjoy this.
If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.
© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd
Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA: