Monday, June 1, 2020

Chili con carne supreme


I love chili con carne but don't have it often. I think I've only ever cooked it once or twice in the past. Of course, The Boy's mother makes a great chili con carne and he's used to the taste of hers, so I'm twitchy about him eating it and saying it doesn't taste like his mother's. He did that with a meatloaf I cooked once and I've never done it again. Now he only gets meatloaf when we visit his mom.


Back to the chili con carne, I watched a very entertaining video of a guy cooking the chilli and swearing a lot. Highly, highly entertaining and it inspired me to cook it again. There are two little sneaky ingredients in this recipe but trust me, it works. Adds such a lush flavor to the recipe. Hence the name of this recipe. The "supreme" is because of these two ingredients.

Here's the recipe:


Ingredients:
  • 1kg mince beef
  • 2 cans diced tomato
  • 1 small tin tomato paste
  • 2 capsicums, 1 red, 1 yellow, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 brown onion, diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder (add more if you like it more spicy)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (trust me on this one)
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 small block dark chocolate (trust me on this too. It makes a difference)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Olive oil
  • Sour cream, chives, and cheese to serve

Instructions:
  • Heat a large oven-proof pot, put in olive oil and beef. Fry off beef mince till all the water from the beef mince has evaporated.
  • Add vegetables and cook till onions are translucent.
  • Add spices, stir.
  • Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, beef stock. Stir through.
  • Put on lid and put into oven at 125°C for an hour.
  • Take out of oven and put back on stove. If it's a bit dry, add a bit more stock.
  • Stir through and check for taste.
  • Add chocolate and let it melt through the chilli. Taste. If require a bit more sweetness, add sugar. 
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve and enjoy.


If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment