Thursday, January 26, 2012

Garlic Sautéed Broccoli ... or any other vegetable that takes your fancy

I always like to serve something green and vegetable-like with my meals, be it at home with The Boy on a night in, or when I'm doing a dinner party and serving a big meal to the boys or any other guests.

Green stuff is good for you!!!

Depending on the meal, I either put together a green leafy salad with a vinaigrette dressing (post link from rissotto post) or a simple steamed or sautéed vegetable dish. I don't do fancy salads or vegetable dishes because I'm not serving them as a main meal themselves. If I were doing that the dishes would be different.

Steamed vegetables is easy, 'cos all you do it steam it, but just make sure that you don't over-steam and end up with mushy vegetables. I've done that before and let me tell you - it is not nice. I usually do a combo of broccoli, carrots and if in season, asparagus and / or snow peas. Sometimes, I just do steamed broccoli and call it a day. I've talked about steaming vegetables here (post boiling veggie link).

So, sautéed vegetables. Green beans are a favorite, as is broccoli. It really doesn't matter the vegetable, so long as they are sturdy enough to survive the sautée-ing. I've used snow peas, green beans, broccoli, asparagus and a few others too.


Here's the RECIPE:

Ingredients:
  • Green vegetable of your choice, amount of your choice
  • Garlic in copious quantities or just a little bit, depending on how much you like garlic, finely chopped
  • Olive oil
  • Pinch of salt

Instructions:
  • Heat fry pan with olive oil
  • Put in garlic and sautée gently for a few minutes
  • Add in vegetable and continue to sautée for 7 to 10 minutes until cooked, stirring regularly
  • Serve hot

That's it! Really!!! It's that simple. When you're doing a complicated main meal, a simple vegetable side is what best, to compliment, not to overtake the main.

Oh! And don't overcook the vegetables or they will burn and turn rubbery.

How do you feel about garlic? Love it? Like it? Hate it? A little or a lot?

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment