Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Satay chicken with garlic spiral pasta


As you can tell from the previous post, this dinner was really a "what have I got in the cupboard" dinner. I scrounged for what was around and then cooked up something. I'm also pleased that it turned out to be very tasty (I think the seasoning might have helped).

Here's what I did ...

For the satay chicken: (note I've rounded off the quantities since I was left with bits and pieces in the fridge)

Ingredients:
  • 1 jar Kan Tong peanut sauce (or any other peanut sauce will do)
  • 1 green capsicum cut into bit size squares
  • 1 onion cut into bite size pieces and separated
  • 1 large carrot sliced in about 1.5mm pieces
  • 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • 4 pieces of chicken thigh cut into bite size pieces
  • Peanut or olive oil for cooking
  • Salt for seasoning
  • Chili flakes and pepper for spice (optional)

Instructions:
  • Cut up the ingredients into the appropriate size pieces
  • Warm up a frying pan or wok and add oil
  • When oil is slightly warm but not smoking, add garlic and cook slightly (do not brown)
  • Add capsicum, carrot and onion and cook gently for 3 or 4 minutes, until cooked but still crunchy. The onion should not be translucent, if it is, you have overcooked it
  • Remove vegetables from the wok
  • Add a little more oil
  • Put in chicken and cook thoroughly
  • When chicken is cooked, add vegetables back into wok
  • Pour in peanut sauce and bring to boil
  • Season to taste and serve

For the spiral pasta: (I made pasta because I did not have any rice in the pantry)

Ingredients:
  • A quantity of spiral pasta (whatever the amount you think you are going to eat)
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 3 tablespoons peanut oil (I used this to go with the peanut sauce rather than olive oil)
  • Salt to season

Instructions:
  • Boil water with some salt in it
  • Put spiral pasta into boiled water for 9 minutes (that should cook it till it's al dente)
  • When pasta is 2 minutes away from cooking, heat up a pan
  • Put oil and garlic in pan with a little salt to season and cook gently, do not brown or burn the garlic
  • When pasta is cooked, drain pasta, put into pan with garlic and oil
  • Toss pasta in pan till it's covered with the oil and garlic evenly
  • Serve with satay chicken

This turned out to be a very delicious meal and I have to say that surprised me considering I had just thrown it together from whatever was left in the pantry and fridge.


© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment