Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bouncing off coffee


If you've read my previous posts about my obsession with coffee - more specifically Nespresso coffee here and here, you'll know that I love my coffee but I drink decaf and only decaf. You are talking to a person who has not had much caffeine at all for close to 15 years.

Recently, I've been feeling a little sluggish in the morning and nothing seemed to perk me up. I decided to try a cup of coffee with caffeine in it. Upon discussion with The Boy on my sensitivity to caffeine (and believe me, I am VERY sensitive to it), we decided that maybe 1/2 a cup would be better. The Boy kindly offered to drink the remaining half cup for me.

I noticed one thing right away when I drank that half cup of coffee ...

Zing! ... Zing! ... Zing! ....


That caffeine stuff sure has some kick to it. It's no wonder so many people are addicted to it and can't function without it.

Know what else I've noticed?

I don't sleep so well, when I've had that teeny, tiny half cup of caffeinated coffee.


I've had a half cup of caffeinated coffee 3 times in the last month now and I've noticed that each time I've had it, that very same night, I'm not sleeping as well. I end up not sleeping deeply and falling into short patches of REM sleep, where I dream a lot, remember what I'm dreaming and I feel like I'm partially awake, a spectator in my own dream / sleep state. I would fall asleep, dream, wake up, then fall asleep, dream and wake up again, and repeat that pattern several times during the night. This annoys me a great deal since I value my sleep and I like waking up feeling like I've had a good night's sleep. When I have these weird caffeine induced sleep / dream cycles, it just drives me crazy. I feel like I've been cheated of my night of sleep ... but it sure makes me feel zippy right after I've drunk it.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. :-)

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment