Thursday, February 9, 2012

Swedish meatballs with creamy mushroom sauce and fettuccine


I'm not cooking tonight - we're just pulling some stuff out of the freezer and it just happens to be this dish which I made a few nights ago. I had posted on the first part of the cooking process which included the recipe for the meatballs, but I never posted on the rest of the meal.

I had so much leftover from the other night that I put some of it away in the freezer for another night. I didn't think we'd be pulling it out of the freezer so soon, but this is what The Boy wanted for dinner tonight. I had suggested leftovers (again!) but he protested to having chicken curry 3 nights in a row.

A friend of mine, whom I showed the picture of the dish to said it certainly looks a lot better than the meatballs you get from Ikea. Well, I would certainly hope so! I didn't use any fillers in the recipe.

So the previous post has the recipe for the meatballs, I'm going to post the RECIPE for the creamy mushroom sauce here:

Ingredients:
  • 600ml cream
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 packet dry mushroom soup mix
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
  • Heat olive oil in pan and put in onions and garlic to cook. Sautee for a few minutes but do not brown
  • Add mushrooms into pan and cook until water is mostly gone
  • Add white wine and bring to a simmer (this should happen fairly quickly)
  • Add the packet of dry mushroom soup mix and stir in wine until mixed through
  • Add bay leaves and cream and bring to a boil
  • Simmer gently until sauce thickens (if the sauce becomes too think, you can add a bit more white wine to thin it out)
  • When the sauce is ready, add salt and pepper to taste
  • Serve over fettuccine and meatballs

Note: this is quite a rich, creamy sauce, so you don't need a lot. Too much sauce on your fettuccine might be too rich and be hard to digest or difficult to eat.

I served the meatballs and fettuccine with a side salad of green lettuce leaf mix. I dressed it with a simple balsamic dressing which was 3 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil and 2 tablespoons caramelized balsamic vinegar, shaken well together.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment